SaskMusic Update Re: COVID-19 and Emergency Relief Fund
March 13, 2020 in SaskMusic News
(Updated March 19)
The health and safety of our staff, members, colleagues, and our communities is our top priority at this time, and we’re closely following public health updates and new developments related to COVID-19, aka Coronavirus. We recognize that these circumstances are particularly stressful for those in the arts community, many of whom rely heavily on public performance and the gathering together of audiences to make a living.
As of March 17 our two offices will be closed to the walk-in public, with staff largely working from home. We are postponing any plans for in-person events such as workshops and gatherings. We will be considering ways to deliver alternative programming such as web-only presentations. Staff and our career track mentors are happy to meet with you for one-on-ones via phone or video chat during this time. If you'd like to pop in to pay a membership or borrow a book, please message ahead of time to make arrangements, and do avoid in-person contact if you’re feeling at all unwell, or have recently travelled internationally.
We won’t give anyone recommendations on how make personal career decisions related to this pandemic, but we do encourage you to follow all health region-advised practices, and monitor news releases for updates to these recommendations. Current important items of note (in our own wording):
- Effective March 18, it is advised that no public gatherings of over 50 people shall be held in Saskatchewan. Certain retail spaces and in particular grocery stores and pharmacies are exempt.
- Practice social distancing, and self-isolate if you are sick for any reason.
- It is advised that all international travel be cancelled. If you are currently working outside of Canada, you must self-isolate for 14 days upon return
- Province-to-province travel is not advised unless essential. Check for any restrictions (ie gathering sizes) imposed by the province you are travelling to. Note that there are similar organizations to SaskMusic in every province and territory, and they may helpful in providing this information.
- Review your show contracts and any insurance coverage you may have for cancellations.
- Check in with the venues, festivals, and promoters for events coming up in the next 30 days about their plans and systems.
- Check in with any funding agencies attached to your projects about the status of your funding for any cancelled or rescheduled activities.
- Stay vigilant about your health, handwashing, and making sure the spaces you’re going to are doing the same.
- If you have underlying medical conditions that put you at higher risk, talk to your health care providers, friends, and family about a plan.
In all cases, refer to the local health authorities’ guidelines as your main source of info.
Our friends at Manitoba Music have also compiled a handy list of links: https://www.manitobamusic.com/coronavirus
SaskMusic to launch emergency relief fund for music industry professionals impacted by lost income due to COVID-19, aka Coronavirus: Updated page here March 19/2020
We also recognize that the demand for this fund may far exceed our own resources, and thus have made the decision to accept private donations. 100% of all funds donated (less any bank/transaction fees) will be distributed to applicants of the program. If you are a music fan or patron of the arts whose upcoming social plans have been impacted by the cancellation of live music events, we encourage you to consider a donation to help support Saskatchewan’s musicians and industry.
To donate via PayPal using your PayPal funds, a credit card, or Visa Debit:
To donate via cheque, you can mail to:
SaskMusic, 1831 College Ave, Regina SK, S4P 4V5; telephone 306-347-0676
We also encourage you to consider purchasing music and merchandise directly from artists or via Bandcamp.com. Here is a helpful link to albums and artists tagged “Saskatchewan” on that site (however, you can also search by name for your favourite artists): https://bandcamp.com/tag/saskatchewan?tab=all_releases