SaskMusic is preparing to announce the winners of the 2021 Saskatchewan Music Awards via a streamed event on Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 8pm CST, on YouTube (www.youtube.com/SaskMusic) and Facebook. The awards are meant to honour excellence and celebrate the achievements of our Saskatchewan music industry members over the past year. Performers for the virtual event will include Saskatoon’s The Garrys, vbnd and Katie Tupper; Regina’s Flash Back, and Cut Knife’s Jake Vaadeland.
With the exception of Album of the Year, all the SMAs will be announced on Thursday. (The award for Album of the Year was announced in mid-December after Hunter Brothers’ “Been a Minute” reached the top of The Best Saskatchewan Albums of 2021 public poll.)
Following the SMAs, the fourth annual Very Prairie Music Summit kicks off, running online January 21-23. An educational event for the Saskatchewan music industry, Very Prairie is focused on career growth, business development and music industry best practices. National and international presenters will dive into an array of topics that we hope will provide practical and straightforward information. We encourage musicians and industry at any stage of their career to attend, learn and share. Registration for the event is free.
To learn more, visit www.VeryPrairie.ca, and follow SaskMusic’s social media accounts for updates.
SaskMusic would like to thank Creative Saskatchewan and FACTOR (The Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent on Recordings) for their support.
The Best Saskatchewan Albums of 2021 Long List
There were multiple ties in this year’s public poll.
- #1 Hunter Brothers - Been a Minute (Album of the Year, Saskatchewan Music Awards)
- #2 (TIE) Jake Vaadeland - Retro Man; Jeffery Straker - Just Before Sunrise
- #3 (TIE) Jess Moskaluke - The Demos; vbnd - Scum Funk
- #4 (TIE) The Garrys - Get Thee to a Nunnery; Seven Mile Sun - Light In The Dark; Flash Back - Wide Awake
- #5 (TIE) Amanda Hagel - Be the Light; Marie-Véronique Bourque - Entre Québec & Saskatchewan; Wolf Willow - Old Guitars & Shooting Stars
- #6 Munro & Patrick - Give Me Your Rain
- #7 The Saskatchewan All Stars Big Band - The Saskatchewan Suite
- #8 Ava Wild and Merky Waters - Existing
- #9 Andino Suns - 9/11
- #10 (TIE) Jeff D Michel – Back to the Moon; Tucker Lane – Random Fireworks on a Beach Obscured by Trees; Karissa Hoffart - Life of Mine
SaskMusic is a non-profit, member-based association that represents, promotes and develops the artists and commercial music industry of Saskatchewan, both domestically and internationally. We offer one-on-one guidance, workshops, marketing and export assistance, career development opportunities, peer sessions, artist and business listings, and more. From songwriters and freelance musicians to studios, we work with artists and industry members across our province, in an extensive range of genres and skill levels. SaskMusic is a source of information and resources for both the public and the music industry.
For more information, please contact Michael Dawson, Executive Director/SaskMusic, firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll-free 1-800-347-0676.