Music PEI Canadian Songwriter Challenge
April 29-May 3/2019, Charlottetown PEI
Deadline: January 21, 2019
SaskMusic is excited to be partnering once again with Music PEI, with an opportunity for one SaskMusic songwriter member to participate in Music PEI’s Canadian Songwriter Challenge, April 29-May 3 in Charlottetown PEI. This year, the event will be held during the East Coast Music Association's 2019 conference, which draws over 2000 music industry participants from around the world.
Current SaskMusic members who are recording artists + songwriters are encouraged to apply.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, January 21 at 5pm.
SELECTION PROCESS: Consideration will be given to the artist’s history, current activities and future plans. The selected applicant will be notified 1-2 weeks following the deadline.
- Applicant must be a current SaskMusic member who has been residing in Saskatchewan for at least the past 12 months (up to and at the time of application).
- Applicants must be available to attend the event between April 29-May 3, 2019 plus necessary travel time
- Applicants must be a recording artist as well as a songwriter.
- Artist should have a current album or digital release (within the last 24 months, or upcoming 12 months).
- In the case of bands or groups, only the primary songwriter in the band will participate in the songwriting challenge.
Artists will be provided with the following:
- Travel allowance to cover flights;
- Hotel during their stay;
- A Music PEI/ECMA jury-selected partner to work with;
- Professional studio to work in;
- Performance fee for a concert;
- Catered lunches during studio/songwriting time;
- Full conference pass to ECMA: www.ecma.com
About Music PEI Canadian Songwriter Challenge: The Canadian Songwriter Challenge (supported by Bell Media) is a component of the Canadian Song Conference and was created by Music PEI through a partnership with other provincial Music Industry Associations.
This project puts artists from PEI together with artists from across Canada to collaborate and co-write in pairs. Each pair of artists has 2 days to write and record two songs in demo form in a professional studio provided by Music PEI. You can listen to songs created during the 2018 Canadian Songwriter Challenge here.
After the songwriting and recording process is completed, each pair of artists will have an opportunity to present their demos at a Listening Session of delegates recruited by Music PEI and ECMA. These delegates include music supervisors, publishers, labels and other domestic and international music industry professionals.
The Canadian Songwriter Challenge is not genre-specific. Advanced-level songwriters who would like to participate are encouraged to apply for this unique opportunity: APPLICATION FORM