SOCAN Work Commissioning Assistance Grant - Grant Application
Deadline: March 15, 2018
SOCAN Foundation provides grants for Canadian music creators and publishers working to promote appreciation for Canadian music in today’s society. Our grants support the spread of our music both within Canada and abroad, ensuring our voices are heard all over the world and in our own back yards. Grants are provided to assist individuals, corporations, performers, ensembles, and presenters in the commissioning of SOCAN members to create new works in all genres of music.
The overall intent of the Work Commissioning Assistance Grant is to reach beyond local, regional, provincial, and federal arts council funding bodies, and encourage other members of our society (individuals, organizations or companies) to commission new musical works. Priority for approval will be given to applications demonstrating that the commissioned work will have a public performance.
This grant will match funds, from $1000 to a maximum of $3000 that the applicant will have raised during the period of the fundraising initiative.
To be eligible, the applicant must not have a familial relationship with the SOCAN member being commissioned.
The application must include an agreement between the applicant and the SOCAN member being commissioned indicating at least the following:
- the SOCAN member retains the right to assign copyright of the commissioned work;
- the projected commissioning fee;
- the projected date (month, year) of completion of the work;
- the projected date (month, year) of first public performance;
- the applicant will inform the SOCAN Foundation of delivery of the completed work, so that the Work Commissioning Assistance Grant grant will be paid directly to the SOCAN member commissioned.
A SOCAN member can only receive one (1) Work Commissioning Assistance Grant every two (2) calendar years.
Two deadlines per calendar year : March 15 and September 15, 2018 (11:59 PM – ET).
For more information and to apply for a Work Commissioning Assistance Grant, CLICK HERE.